Friday, November 26, 2010

2011 Aston Martin Rapide Test Driven by Motor Trend

The former is insanely expensive and impractical to drive on trips. The latter is not, and so in August 2000 when a lovely 1967 example came up for sale at an exotic car dealership 5.4 miles from home, I test-drove it right to my house for a quick snapshot that instantly became my screen saver. Seeing myself in that gorgeous car every day helped cement my resolve to pay about as much as I'd spent on all the cars I'd owned prior to that one combined. Ten years later I had the chance to drive what I feel is the most beautiful car in production today, and I was so smitten by it that I recreated the same screen-saver image as an affirmation that with hard work and clean living I may one day land an Aston Martin Rapide in my humble garage. I'm probably going to have to wait a lot longer for this one to depreciate into my price range. My Ghibli listed for about $19,000 in 1967--roughly $122,000 in today's dollars, and had depreciated by about 80 percent in modern money. The Rapide starts at $195,000, so if it holds up like my gorgeous Ghibli, it may be down to $39,000 in today's currency by 2043--a perfect bauble for my 80th birthday...

0 comments:

Post a Comment